Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah


Have you ever heard of it? For those who are book addict, I believe you may know it. For those who have no idea, it is all about Adeline Yen Mah was born in China. Her mother passed away two weeks after her birth and thus Adeline was considered to be a source of bad luck by her family.
Her father remarried a bastard Eurasian woman one year later. She was half French and half Chinese and hence divided the Yen family into two different classes. Adeline's father, stepmother and their two children were the upper class, whereas Adeline and the four other step-children by the first wife were considered second class. In short, being raised up as second class in her family, she encountered many tough times, which is a very touching true story.


You must be wondering why am I talking about this book. In fact, I am not into reading book. After all, my command of english damn lousy reading hard english is just killing my brain. I only used to like reading comic books when I was teenager. When I was in Melbourne in April 2004, at my cousin's place, my cousin's daughter Casandra showed me the book. At first, I doubt I would read the book but she strongly recommend me to give it a try and hence lent the book to me for the time being. One day once I read some first pages of the book, I couldn't help feeling like tears low. I realised Adeline was not as fortunate as us. Such touch feeling made me curious to read next and next pages until surprisingly I managed to finish it albeit the book was thick.
In short, Adeline's story made me appreciate whatever things I have in life and hence I shouldn't take this for granted. Adeline was absolutely tough. I hope I can be tough and be better myself in my life. Special thanks to Casandra for recommending this book. For those never get to read the book yet, I recommend you to give it a try. This book can be available in MPH bookstore in Malaysia.


No comments: